The Developer Snapshot is a quick glimpse into our developer community. It explores the roles, interests, and challenges identified by 639 developers joining our network from November 2015 to March 2016.
Collecting developer data is critical to our approach in understanding the industry - and frankly, the world - from a developers perspective. We ask questions and collect information at every chance, which informs our developer engagement methodologies, strategies, and messaging. Our objective is simple - we use developer data to inform the industry and optimize communication between companies and developers.
"Software developers hold the key to building life altering products and unlocking innovation within every company. It's imperative we listen and truly understand their interests, challenges, and needs."
- Jake Ward, CEO Apps Alliance & DevMode
Every developer is a unique person with their own interests, career objectives, challenges, and perspective on the industry. Yet far too often developer data draws commonalities from surveys that only scratch the surface on the diversity existing in developer communities.
Our research and insights celebrate developer diversity. We do this by focusing on sentiment and truly understanding what motivates developers.
We have discovered that developers love being asked for their thoughts and opinions. Their eagerness to share insights verifies the value in asking and truly listening to developers.
The Developer Snapshot infographic is an example of the work we do to access and share developer insights. The data was collected from developers as they joined our community, and the results were used to produce an infographic to celebrate our community, and more importantly, inform programming, content creation, and resources to address their unique needs as an essential workforce.
- We surveyed 639 global developers as they joined our community November 2015 to March 2016.
- The data was used to understand the roles, interests, and challenges within our developer community to better serve them through programming, resources, and content creation.
- The results were published into an infographic and marketed to our entire network to inform the industry and showcase our community.
- The infographic was downloaded more than 250 times.